This is the most important legislation for protect and nurture our oceans and all sea life of our lifetime.
This is a bill in the U.S. Congress originating in the House of Representatives (“H.R.”). A bill must be passed by both the House and Senate and then be signed by the President before it becomes law. This maybe the best way for you and your children to help save our ocean life.
Oceans Conservation, Education, and National Strategy for the 21st Century Act
To establish a national policy for our oceans, to strengthen the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, to establish a national and regional ocean governance structure, and for other purposes
Oceans Conservation, Education, and National Strategy for the 21st Century Act establishes a:
1. A national policy to protect, maintain, and restore the health of marine ecosystems and requires that federal agencies administer U.S. policies and laws accordingly.
2. Has strong more stringent federal and state requirements.
States that there shall be an agency known as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), declares that Reorganization Plan No. 4 of 1970 (concerning NOAA) shall have no further force or effect, and sets forth NOAA’s mission and functions. (Reestablishes NOAA and requires a reorganization plan.)
3. Creates an Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere and makes that person the Administrator of NOAA.
4.Requires maintenance within NOAA for (1) the National Weather Service;
2. Programs to protect, maintain, and restore the health and sustainability of coastal, ocean, and Great Lakes resources;
3. Restore the Office of Education;
4. Establish a Science Advisory Board to
(a) appoint a National Oceans Advisor; (b) a Committee on Ocean Policy; and (3) the Council of Advisors on Oceans Policy.
5. Designates certain ocean regions for ecosystem-based management
6. Establishes a Regional Ocean Partnership for each region.
(a) Requires the Administrator to establish a network of regional ocean ecosystem resource information systems for each ocean region and other specified bodies of water.
(b) Authorizes related contracts.
7. Establishes in the Treasury, the Ocean and Great Lakes Conservation Trust Fund.
8. Requires payments to coastal states for development and implementation of Regional Ocean Strategic Plans.
9. Requires the U.S. Postal Service to provide for a special postage stamp to afford the public a convenient way to support efforts to protect, maintain, and restore marine ecosystems.
Please if you care about our earth and oceans click here.save the oceans campaign/nrdc
Excerpts courtesy of the Congressional Research Service, a
well-respected nonpartisan arm of the Library of Congress. 1/4/2007.
Excerpts courtesy of NRDC.org action_
Image 1. courtesy of lumajs.googlepages.com/ocean
Image 2. courtesy of treehugger.com/ocean-turtle